If you manage a ColdFusion 8 or 9 server, you are likely aware of the complete and total train wreck that is applying security updates from Adobe. Not only are directions vague, but on occasion Adobe likes to go back and modify the security update without changing filenames or rev-ing the version number. It can drive a SysOp to insanity.
So seems to be the mental state of David Epler as he has been driven to build the “Unofficial Updater 2“. It is an Ant script on steroids bundled in a JAR that knows how to go out and fetch all of the updates from Adobe.com and apply them to your CF8 or CF9 server installation.
I’m not going to belabor the awesomness; here’s how to get your server up to date in about 5 minutes:
- Start by verifying your current security issues, use Pete Freitag’s HackMyCF.com for a baseline
- Backup your /opt/jrun directory (just be safe): tar -cf /opt/jrun4
- Download the Unofficial Updater from http://uu2.riaforge.org/
- Run it: java -jar Unofficial-Updater2.jar text
- Tell it where stuff lives in your installation (it knows how to handle Standalone, Jrun Multi-server and EAR/WAR installs)
- Wait about 4 minutes for it to finish grabbing everything and install…
- Re-run HackMyCF.com and BOOM! Rest easy, friend.
- Proceed to have David Epler’s baby
Please Adobe, please send David a big check so you can take his IP and use it for your next update, mmmm kay?